14-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal has invited the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to publish the results of his entire drug tests. Nadal filed a lawsuit against former French government minister Roselyn Bachelot, who accused him of doping. The Minister alleged that Nadal had faked an injury in 2012, when he missed the final six months of the season due to knee problems, in order to hide a positive drug test.

In a letter to the ITF, the 29-year-old said: “I believe the time has arrived and our sport and our governing bodies need to step up in communicating well to the world. I know how many times I am tested, on and off competition. Please make all my information public. Please make public my biological passport, my complete history of Anti-Doping controls and tests.”

The ITF acknowledged the receipt of Nadal’s letter and confirmed he had never committed a doping violation, while inviting the Spaniard to personally make his records public.
British Tennis star Andy Murray told ‘The Mail’ on Sunday that he had been suspicious of some opponents who “don’t seem to be getting tired”.

Earlier this year, women’s world number nine Maria Sharapova admitted to testing positive for meldonium at this year’s Australian Open. The Russian is serving a provisional suspension and faces a lengthy ban.

The issue of full disclosure of athletes’ anti-doping results has proved controversial in other sports as well. Several athletes – including distance runners Mo Farah and Jo Pavey have said results should be made public.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.